Salsa Verde And Lima Bean Salad


As warmer weather approaches, I’m preparing my favorite recipes for when I can finally do some outdoor grilling. But, what’s up with Winter? It’s refusing to leave the East Coast and I swear I can not take one more day of snow. As I wait impatiently for better days, I decided to get us a smoker, yes! I’m excited about that, I think I’ll be smoking everything. Besides that, I also got a molcajete (mortar and pestle) which I love and already put to good use with this beautiful salsa verde that will brighten up your grilling. 




I love this salsa because it goes well with just about anything you are grilling and it’s a bit spicy which adds a nice kick to it. Truly a good recipe to have on hand. On the other corner I have, a beautiful herbed lima bean salad. I love, love, love this dish because it also goes really well with grilled goods. It’s as simple as cooking the beans, give it a good drizzle of olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin, squeeze of lemon and lots of herbs. This goes particularly well with chicken or fish, try it, you won’t regret it! Happy Spring Everyone!  

Ingredients:

For the salsa verde:

1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 jalapeño, chopped (remove the seeds if you don't like it spicy)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
olive oil

Toast the cumin and coriander and grind it using a molcajete or mortar and pestle. Pound the garlic and salt until you get a paste. Add the jalapeño and then in batches, the cilantro. Keep pounding until you get a nice texture. Add the vinegar and enough olive oil to bind the sauce and give it a drizzly consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. 


For the lima bean salad

3 cups cooked lima beans
1 1/2 cups of chopped herbs (I used cilantro, parsley, mint and oregano)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

a squeeze of lemon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

I cooked my own beans, it's very simple, for 1 pound of beans, just soak them in cold water for at least 4 hours. Discard the soaking water and add fresh water, enough to cover the beans by 2 inches. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and cook until the beans are very tender. This will give you more that 3 cups of cooked beans. To make the salad, combine all the ingredients on a large bowl and mix well. Cover and let it marinate at least 20 minutes before serving. 





Comments